Saint Cyril and Methodius Church 1 - Dubina
Dubina, Czech for Oak Grove, was first settled in 1856 by Moravian immigrants from what is now the Czech Republic. These Czech-Moravians traveled for 14 weeks across the Atlantic, finally landing in Galveston. After much hardship, they found their way to the fertile lands just south of La Grange. Working together, these tough people forged a community and erected their first church in 1900. A hurricane (1909) and then a fire (1912) destroyed their small church. A third church was designed by Leo Dielmann. The community raised over $5,500 to construct this new parish, and the building the building has served as the community center since then. The Saint Cyril and Methodius Church is colorful and ornate. The frescoes on the walls and ceiling have undergone several transformations, the final one coming in 1983 to restore the art to its original state. Photo © copyright by Rob Greebon.